Zvartnots Airport is the main air gate of the Republic of Armenia. It is located near Zvartnots town, approximately 10 km west of the Yerevan. Yerevan Zvartnots Airport is the main international transport hub of capital and at the international level, it is one of the heaviest airports in the world.
SOME FACTS FROM HISTORY
- First of all, Zvartnots Airport was constructed in 1961,
- The architects were M. Khachikyan, A. Tarkhanyan, J. Sheqhlyan and L. Cherkezyan,
- H. Tigranyan and A. Meschyan (also singer) designed it,
- 1980 was the date of the renovation and also the development of a new terminal area,
- In 1985 ICAO granted the airport the second class,
- In 1998 a new air cargo terminal opened
- 2004 a new international terminal opened (it cost $100 million)
- 2006-2007 new arrival hall and the new departure hall started operating
NEW ERA OF ZVARTNOTS AIRPORT
Since 2001 Armenia International Airports belongs to Argentinean “Corporacion America” Company. So, Argentine-Armenian businessman Eduardo Eurnekian signed a 30-year management agreement with the Armenian Government.
Due to this agreement, Armenian airport renovated and expanded its possibilities. So, surely can state, that today Zvartnots airport is a significant tourist and commercial link between Asia and Europe.
The front of the terminal is made of colorful glass, featuring the national flag. All modern requirements established in this newly developed complex turn it attractive for all passengers and also it has high earthquake stability. The runway of national airport is able to accept the capacity of aircrafts like Antonov An-124, Airbus 380 and Boeing 747- 400.
All modern equipments, new terminals, passenger lounges for VIP & Business, are decicated to invite international flight round the year. So, annually Zvartnots airport handles up to 3,5 million passengers, and in other words, it is twice more than in 2010.
However, being one of the most beautiful airports in the world, Zvartnots airport appears not only modern but also perfect for travelers. The cafes and restaurants, different shops of souvenirs, toys, perfumes, beverages, etc, situated here will meet the needs and requirements of all visitors. So, this is a nice place for travelers who are waiting for their departure time, and also for those who are waiting for the arrival of their relatives.
The airport also serves as a transit zone, involving transit and transfer of passengers, giving them permission to visit the Yerevan city.
- Cargo Terminal – Zvartnots has a 10,000 square meters warehouse area and can handle annually 100,000 tons of cargo, also including AVI, DGR, HUM, PER, VAL. It is available 24-hours.
- Dufry Armenia – The Duty-Free shop offers top quality products from leading brands, the local brands are also demonstrated.
- VIP – this section is available for passengers of departures and arrivals, but it costs 25,000 Dram (around $100)
- Baggage storage – 1500 AMD is charged for each piece of stored luggage for every 24 hours.
- Lost & Found
- Business lounge – this area offers:
complimentary snacks & drinks
a wide assortment of alcoholic beverages
coffee & tea
complimentary Internet access and computers
- Parking – Around 600 cars places are available in this area. Indeed, the car owners must pay in cash. So the prices are:
First 10 minutes – FREE
Starting from 11 minutes – 500 AMD/per Hour.
Daily car parking – 2000 AMD
One entry of a mini-bus – 2000 AMD
One entry of a bus – 5000 AMD
- Info desk – The virtual information desk with touch screen possibility provides full information for tourists. Also they can learn about Armenia.
- Well organized security – 150 surveillance cameras both inside and outside of the airport
- Exchange Offices
- Taxi Services etc.
More information about services here: http://www.zvartnots.aero/en
From Zvartnots Airport to Yerevan
- Bus #201 – it helps the passengers to get from the airport to the crossroads of the Sayat Nova and Mashtots streets, the center of Yerevan.
- Bus #108 – this one helps to get from the airport to the center of Yerevan as well.
AIRLINES & DESTINATIONS
So, the Zvartnots International Airport’s major Airlines are the followings:
- Aeroflot (Moscow-Sheremetyevo)
- Aeroflot Don (Rostov)
- Aeromist-Kharkiv (Kharkov)
- Air Arabia (Sharjah)
- Armenia Airlines (Astrakhan, Saratov, Tbilisi, Zaporizhzhia)
- France Airlines (Paris-Charles de Gaulle)
- Armavia (Adler/Sochi, Aleppo, Amsterdam, Ashgabat, Athens, Beirut, Cologne, Dubai, Frankfurt [restarts June 1, 2007], Istanbul-Atatürk, Kiev-Boryspil, Krasnodar, Mineralnye Vody, Minsk, Moscow-Domodedovo, Moscow-Vnukovo, Nizhniy Novgorod, Novosibirsk, Odessa, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Rostov-on-Don, St. Petersburg, Samara, Simferopol, Stavropol, Tbilisi, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Volgograd, Voronezh, Yekaterinburg)
- Astrakhan Airlines (Astrakhan)
- Atlantis European Airways (Prague, Vienna)
- Atlasjet (Istanbul-Atatürk)
- Austrian Airlines (Vienna)
- BAL Bashkirian Airlines (Ufa)
- Belavia (Minsk)
- British Airways
- operated by BMED (Bishkek, London-Heathrow)
- Caspian Airlines (Tehran-Imam Khomeini)
- Czech Airlines (Prague)
- DonbassAero (Donetsk, Kiev-Boryspil)
- Fly Air (Istanbul-Atatürk)
- Gromov Air (Voronezh)
- Karat (Adler/Sochi)
- Kavminvodyavia (Mineralnye Vody)
- Konstanta (Zaporizhia)
- KrasAir (Krasnoyarsk)
- Kuban Airlines (Krasnodar)
- Lufthansa (Munich)
- Orenburg Airlines (Orenburg)
- Perm Airlines (Kaliningrad, Perm via Kazan)
- Pulkovo Aviation Enterprise (St. Petersburg)
- S7 Airlines (Chelyabinsk, Moscow-Domodedovo, Novosibirsk)
- Samara Airlines (Samara)
- Saravia (Saratov)
- Scat Air (Aktau)
- Syrian Arab Airlines (Aleppo, Damascus)
- Ural Airlines (Yekaterinburg)
- Yamal Airlines (Tyumen)
Visa Types and Fees
- Single entry visa, with 120 days of stay — 15,000 AMD,
- Single entry visa, with to 21 days of stay – 3000 AMD,
- Transit entry visa – 10,000 AMD,
- All types of visas for the children under 18 —free of charge.
However, Zvartnots Airport does not provide visa prolonging service.
In conclusion, modern, safe, comfortable Zvartnots airport is better than many European airports and certainly comparing with neighbor country airports, it is the BEST. Every Armenian indeed want to see more flights with Armenian carriers.